May 1st, 2020 by Attorney Dan Carman
Getting arrested for a DUI is bound to be a costly experience, with emotional and social costs as well as financial ones. In that critical moment, you may start thinking about the need for an attorney and wonder, how much does a DUI lawyer cost? While attorney fees vary according to the circumstances, the monetary cost of a good DUI lawyer to defend you against these charges is small in comparison to what you could wind up paying if you try to go it alone
In addition to costs, if you are convicted of a DUI in Kentucky, you may face jail time and wind up with a criminal record that will follow you for the rest of your life. Fortunately, the Lexington DUI attorneys at Dan Carman, are available to fight for your rights and your freedom. We know Kentucky prosecutors, courts and the system. We can negotiate to get you the best deal possible and take your case to trial if necessary.
We are happy to listen to your story about what happened and answer any questions.
To make sure you have the best defense and the most legal options, call Dan Carman for a free, no-obligation consultation today at (859) 685-1055.
How Much Does a DUI Lawyer Cost?
While law firms have different fee schedules, the fees generally depend on the time spent on your defense and the complexity of your situation. Costs for a DUI defense lawyer vary according to factors that include:
- Whether or not this is your first DUI offense
- Whether there were injuries or property damage involved
- The evidence and witnesses available
- The possibility that your case can be plea-bargained or if the case goes to trial.
Some attorneys simply charge a flat rate per case, and others bill by the hour. If your case is complicated and is taken to trial, this will take many more hours than a case that is plea-bargained or dropped. Flat rates may vary as to how much work the firm will have to do as well.
In some circumstances, you may be able to use the services of a public defender, paid by the state. Unfortunately, public defenders have heavy case loads and are overworked and underfunded. This means they rarely are able to put in the time and effort necessary to investigate and litigate a DUI, especially if you go to trial.
DUI attorney Dan Carman knows that fees are a major concern and will discuss options, structures, and payment plans during your initial consultation.
Call us today at 859-685-1055.
How Much is a DUI Lawyer – and How Much Can They Save You?
Whatever the cost of your DUI lawyer, your total costs will often be lower than if you went to court without representation. If your attorney can get your first-time DUI charges reduced or dropped, you can save as much as $4,000 on car insurance alone.
A conviction for a DUI can bring the following costs:
- A first-offense DUI — $200 to $500 in fines
- Second offenses — $350 to $500 in fines
- Third offenses — fines of $500 to $1000.
- Insurance: A DUI makes you a high-risk driver and will result in higher insurance premiums for three to five years, as well as risk of policy cancellation. You will get rate hikes that average $830 more per year for car insurance than if you had a clean record. That means an extra cost to you cost of over $4,000 over a five-year period.
- Traffic school and treatment programs: If these are ordered by the court, you will have to pay costs that may range from $150 to $500.
- Ignition interlock devices: There are installation and monthly maintenance costs if you are ordered to have a device put on your car.
- Jail time: For a first-offense conviction, you may receive 48 hours to 30 days in jail. A second-offense DUI could bring up to six months, and a third offense up to one year in jail.
- Suspended license: If your license is suspended, you may not be able to earn money. Our attorneys will try to get you a temporary restricted license.
If we can get the charges reduced to negligent driving, increased insurance costs drop substantially. If we get the case thrown out, you save the entire amount.
While you are in jail, you may lose your entire salary, or lose your job completely. Our attorneys maybe able to get jail time replaced with an equivalent amount of community service.
How Much Does a DUI Attorney Cost — Ask DUI Lawyer Dan Carman
If you want to know how much does a DUI attorney cost, call us. Costs of a DUI can add up rapidly. A skillful DUI attorney can more than make up for the costs of attorney fees.
Dan Carman has been defending clients against DUI charges for years. Our legal team knows how to gather and examine evidence such as the police reports, recordings, and testing logs. We know your rights and the rules and regulations police officers must follow, and how to use mistakes they make to build your case.
When you call us, we will get to work on your case immediately and make sure the costs to you are as low as possible.
If you or a loved one has been arrested on a DUI charge, call Dan Carman today at (859) 685-1055.